History in History
The LOGUELTAS manor has always remained in our family since its inception. Through the play of successive alliances, it belonged to the families BECMEUR (until the middle of the 18th), ROCHAERZ, KERAUTEM du Cours, THE BESCHU OF CHAMPSAVIN. For the record under the old regime, the owners were called “Sir and Lady of Locqueltas”.
The remoteness of the owners in central France in the mid-19th and until the end of the Second World War left the mansion relatively abandoned for almost a century… Taken over by the descendants, the BOISSELET family, the manor has been gradually restored in conjunction with the agricultural restructuring and rehabilitation of the forest on a very hilly site. The last stage of this restoration was the creation of 2 cottages of 4 and 8 people in the east wing, which constituted an outbuilding of the mansion.
The wing reveals itself and becomes a cottage…
It was in 2012 that Marc and Catherine decided to completely renovate the east wing of the manor to create two independent and adjoining cottages under the leadership of an architect from Quintin, scrupulously respecting the traditional character of the place.
Based in particular on granite, a must in the region, the couple decided to undertake major works. It’s all there! The walls, the frame, the roof, the granite door and window frames, the sanding of the fireplace and of course all the interior design… All the work is carried out by Breton craftsmen and companions, local and expert of noble materials that are used.
Outside, visitors can discover the architectural complex including: the manor house, the washhouse, a thatched bread oven and the chapel (18th)
In the smallest cottage at the end of the wing, called “Chapelain’s Cottage”, a beautiful carved granite fireplace from the 18th floor has been preserved and restored, curiously on the 1st floor. In fact, there was the only living room in this outbuilding with direct access through the stone staircase visible in the courtyard of the manor; this room was probably reserved for a representative of the clergy (chaplain? …) which benefited from a special entrance and heating with the fireplace. This is evidenced by the stone carved in crosses initially located at the back on the wall overlooking the old garden (current entrance of the cottages) and placed in the center of the façade.
The manor is also a beauty and becomes a cottage…
It is in 2019 that Damien (their son) and Clémence decided to completely renovate the mansion to create an additional independent cottage while scrupulously respecting the traditional character of the place.
This renovation is important in insulation, electricity, plumbing, painting, … everything to make the mansion pleasant, lively and warm.
For the record, the rental of the cottages and the manor allows above all to maintain the place, so that this beautiful heritage remains preserved for many generations to come!
The Great History of Logueltas Manor
The origin of the construction of the LOGUELTAS manor dates back to the 16th century, as evidenced by the signature of the beam (in the main room of the manor):
“Alain Le Trefennec 1582”
It has subsequently undergone several reshuffles with probably various jobs. The last exterior restoration concerned the skylights in 1736 (date carved on that of the middle of the façade).
Origin of the name
The name LOGUELTAS or LOQUELTAS or LOCQUELTAS means the place dedicated to Saint Gildas, the Irish monk who settled on the Rhuys peninsula who evangelized Brittany in the 6th century, notably by going up the Blavet river that passes near Saint-Nicolas-du-Pelem (rocky chaos of Toul-Goulic). This name can be found with different spellings several times from the Gulf of Morbihan.
This manor house built in the lower part (near the water point) was in closed courtyard with facing the manor an 18th century operating building (certified by a dated stone preserved in the notch of the great hall of the manor) destroyed in the fifties (there remains the retaining wall covered with virgin vines). The farm was gradually transferred to the Logueltas Nevez farm built at the end of the 19th century on the other side of the road.
In keeping with the tradition of Breton mansions, the estate includes the 18th century chapel located opposite the farm near the road, dedicated to St Gildas and St Herbot (wooden statues inside and dated on the granite benefactor). The bread oven and the washhouse (at the back of the mansion) are probably from the same era.
LOGUELTAS was located on the territory of the parish of BOTHOA (of Bot- Residence and St Doha, Bishop of the 5th century), a village 3 kms walk by forest and 8 kms by road. Bothoa’s story is quite fascinating. Judge instead: Vast parish as early as 1407 in Upper Cornwall dependent on the Diocese of Cornwall (Quimper) with 4 branches (Lanrivain, Canihuel, Kerien and St. Tréphine); one of the richest parishes in the diocese with nearly 40 priests towards the end of the 18th century, including 5 vicars in Bothoa and a substantial benefit.
Then Bothoa collapsed throughout the 19th century, probably due to a geographical location isolated from the lines of communication; the village lost its status as a township in 1836 and a parish in 1860, to the benefit of St. Nicholas of Pelem, which owes its name to the Pelem Castle whose then owner was M. de Beaucours. The latter donated to the commune in 1870 his private chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas to become a parish church (and then be dedicated to St. Peter as the church of Bothoa). Bothoa is now a very small village attached to St. Nicholas of Pelem, 4kms from the main village.
Going back to LOGUELTAS, the whole estate constituted until the French Revolution a lordship comprising several farms and a hamlet of some importance (nearly 150 people still registered in the middle of the 19th).
Independence of the neighbouring Botcol Manor
This estate, which was grouped up to the 18th century with the neighbouring BOTCOL manor house, belonged until 1755 to the BECMEUR family, whose mentions ca
n be found:- At the watch – from 4 and 5 September 1481 in Carhaix: Charles de Becmeur de Loq
ueltas.- At the watch – of the Bishop of Cornwall 15 and 16 May 1562 in Quimper: Hervé and his brother Morice Becmeur , Sieur de Locqueltas.
A fire in the nave of the church of Bothoa (rebuilt in the 19th) recalls this family as the graves were found in the parish cemetery.